Map of WV
South Valleys Area Plan
Regional Open Space Plan
Sign Up For New
Featured Local Blogs
Local Food Northern
A Fresh Path
The urban blog
Hopkins Amazon Blog
Sleepy Cat Hollow
10 Things You
Can Do To be involved in washoevalley.org
1. Send in a WV story or quip.
2. Send in a photo.
3. or a recipe, poem or question..
4. Tell someone about this site.
5. Check out the site regularly.
6. Attend a meeting and tell us about it.
7. Report on our schools.
8. Report on our churches.
9. support local businesses.
10. share your WV history.
Many links to documents
(PDF) require this free program.
Download it by clicking
on the logo
The county cable channel 17 has the county
commissioner meetings, a news show, and various public info segments.
Draw Me A Picture!
Regional Planning explained
with a flowchart.
Meet our staff:
Washoe Valley Lifestyle Page
Information Relating to Living
the Rural Nevada Life
Cocoa Mulch Toxic To Dogs
Cocoa Mulch Toxic To Dogs
weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from
Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was
advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso, decided that
the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a
few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting
lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her
morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further
investigation on the companies web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs.
Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that
studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical
harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of
all dogs won't eat it."
True information about the mulch can be found here - ASPCA
This site gives the following information:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".
It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts
dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in
the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ---check what you are using in your
gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.
Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ,especially
dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs.
Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a
xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that
ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed
severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and
the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of
Please email the manufacturer at
http://firstname.lastname@example.org and request that accurate information
about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.